Sunday, August 23, 2015

SASHA AND KITTERS (BABY BLUE)
As I was initially looking to adopt a Siamese - Sasha was the one I was interested in.

(I have kept that name as she seemed to recognize it and respond to it very well). With our introduction - she seemed to have a gentle personality that went along with that very Beautiful face. She appeared friendly and comfortable around me. Not much on being held, but I was completely confident that we would be able to bond just fine. I was also aware of Baby Blue - and told they were half- sisters, or from the same home if nothing else - and that the HSBC was hoping to place them together. Baby Blue was extremely scared of pretty much anything that moved, and subsequently hid atop the kitchen cabinets in the office there. My first thought was only that I wouldn't even want a cat that was in hiding all the time. I mean - What's the point? But after spending a considerable amount of time with both of them that day - BBlue did come down, and allowed me to hold her and seemed somewhat OK with me. And she Was a pretty kitty! So. . . out of concern for BB's welfare (and maybe a little guilt at the thought of separating them) - I chose to adopt them both. After the papers were signed, and kitties secured in their carriers, with their voices raised in concern - we buckled them up in the car and off I went - back to Minnesota. The girls were raising such a ruckus that all I could think was that this was going to be a Very Long drive home! ha ha ha Two miles down the road - All was quiet! That is - until I would look at them and ask them how they were doing?!? They would tell me plenty! Two more miles - all was quiet again! And so on it went . . . (kinda funny actually)

Now ~ The ridiculous story I Must Confess………………… (because I can laugh about it Now !)

Once we arrived at home – each was brought in and released. I live in a roomy 1 bedroom apartment with a nice private closet for their litter boxes. Sasha made herself right at home lounging on the bed. Baby Blue was nowhere to be found. And I DO mean NO Where. After literally tearing the apartment apart for over an hour – searching Over & Over in Every conceivable hiding spot – and even illogical ones – I began to panic……… I mean seriously – this apartment is Only SO Big – where could she be?!? I began to question whether I had inadvertently left the patio door open for even the briefest moment and she had escaped. I didn’t remember doing it – but it was the only answer in my mind.

Well – this is Great – How do I explain to the HSBC that I had Baby Blue home for 20 minutes and then LOST Her ?!? I felt like such a horrible care-taker !!! And so began several hours of a frantic search for her. Beginning with making fliers to post in the area (thank goodness for that picture on your web site!) – talking to local businesses – even calling the sheriff’s department with a heads-up in the event the lost kitty showed up somewhere. I called and had to leave a message with the local Vet – in case someone brought in an abandoned kitty. I scoured the neighborhood blocks on foot – looked in trees – though I knew that IF she were out there somewhere – she would be scared to death and in some obscure hiding spot.

After several hours of searching and no kitty to be found – I gave up for the night. I had done all I could until morning – and I would begin again with posting even more fliers. Exhausted and Very upset – I decided to try and relax – and watch a movie from my collection. I opened the drawer to the armoire in the living room – and was scared half outta my wits by this gray ball of fluff in the drawer! “WHAT ?!?!? How the heck did you Ever get in there?!?” was all I could exclaim. I pulled her out and hugged her and slightly scolded her for making mom worry so !!!! “Kids” !! And so – I called the Sheriff back – said the kitty was found (though I did not tell them where – they would have thought I was even more nuts!) haha  And here ended out initial drama ! ha ha

Unknown to me – the bottom was not sealed off and there was room enough behind the drawers to simply crawl up into them. It became a favorite spot for the first couple weeks – for both of them - until I decided, I just had to close it off. Sorry girls – there are plenty of other spots to hide out. . . And I don’t think they were too happy about it either!

More issues began the second night at home . . . I noticed a couple of small scabby spots on Sasha’s neck and shoulder. By the next day – they were getting bigger. By Monday morning, she had 3 sections she had licked away the fur completely. I called the vet and took her in – getting her into the carrier was a horrible ordeal for her (two men were here at the time fixing something in the bathroom – did she have issues with men?) Once out of the apartment, she calmed down and was very quiet and completely at ease at the vet’s office.

They diagnosed the issues as hot spots. She had an antibiotic for 10 days – along with a salve – which she would lick off. I stopped with the salve after 2 weeks, out of concern for her tummy. The spots healed on their own. But more continue to develop. Then heal. It is hard to tell what the Initial cause was – nor the fact that it continues: I have new carpet – new flooring – she has a new home – new food – and the added trauma of the medicines. It was obvious she then no longer trusted me – as I’m the one with the oral medicine and salve. (although I Always approached with a gentle voice, reassurance, and felt I tried to be non-threatening)

Several weeks have passed now and she is finally trusting me again – is no longer hiding out – but continues to lick away her fur in spots. (I am concerned about all this) I know I need to get her in again for a thorough check up and possibly vaccines – but I worry about the trauma of the vet visit. I have decided to leave the carrier out and visible, in order for her to get used to it. Baby Blue (“Kitters”) – on the other hand – is Thriving! After the first few days of hiding under the bed – she finally decided (with some coaxing) that it was alright to come out.

We have long play time sessions chasing feathers and a light laser once or twice a day and she will sit in my lap sometimes. (Sasha is Finally playing as well !) They both allow me to clip their claws (they’re So good!) and I do have a scratching thingy for them – which they Really Love! They have their own chair (as well as other places) to sleep. They enjoy getting brushed, and treat time every day, along with assorted toys available at all times, And their favorite: a “Sock Buddy” filled with cat nip. They sometimes even nap with it.

I will say that it has been a huge surprise to see their personalities here with me. What I had truly expected did not end up that way. Had I just taken Sasha, I would have felt cheated with having to deal with one nervous, un-cuddley kitty. Baby Blue (Kitters) is the one that would have been left behind – and she has turned out to be the best treat of all ! Baby Blue (Kitters) is truly a much better companion than Sasha will probably ever be (as she does Not like to be held at All !) Kitters is waiting for me at the door after work, and tends to follow me around. She has even become more social with outside people visiting. Sasha IS Finally coming around and more visible and interacting with me, but hides when people are here. I’m hoping with time we will figure out what is causing her hot spots and she will truly relax.

Sasha does enjoy a nice scratching and tummy rub – but on her terms. And how can I not love that beautiful face. She IS such a gorgeous cat ! (my photos do Not do her justice) She is definitely unique – and I will do what I can to make her life comfortable & Happy. Either way – different breeds – different personalities, but we are All in this together - and a family now - for the long haul . . .

Thanks much to Brenda for helping me get fixed up with the girls.

p.s. to Brenda . . . . A note of interest > If you recall - Baby Blue was the one that preferred to retreat and hideout in her special cave style sleeper. In fact – you sent her home with me in that, as we thought it would help her transition better. Well. . . once she stepped foot into my apartment – she Never has set foot in that thing again ! I can’t believe it !

So therefore, I have finally washed it up, and will ship it/re-donate it to you (HSBC) for use with another needy critter.
 
Thanks again So Much to everyone !