Tuesday, August 8, 2017



LOLLI (TOFFEE)
Sorry for the delay.  Toffee-(now Lolli)-is great. She never responded to "Toffee" & it took time to get her to know her name, period.
"We" are still in the adjustment/adolescent phase.
As you know, she was in the shelter kennel for 3 months, due to infections--(sinus initially & then, abdominal incisional infections from spaying x2-3); so now, wants to explore everything!

Upon arrival home, she was a bit guarded about her abdomen, but, after a few days let me look at it, during gentle brushing.  There was an opening, approx. size of head of q-tip.  After 2 days of warm, moist compresses 2x Day, followed by peroxide, it completely closed. 
She gets 1/4 tsp. of plain yogurt each morning for probiotic benefit, since she needed so many antibiotics prior to adoption.

She eats very well-(I have to keep food behind secured door), has used litter box perfectly since Day 1-(very grateful for that), & loves to play!!!!  She "fetches" the ball, up & down the steps, across the room, etc., & brings it right back to me, dropping it at my feet...or else the game is over.  She is very smart. 
She is becoming more of a snuggler, has a quiet voice-(seems odd, but, has its benefits) & has never hissed--never! She was a face swatter/slapper for a while, but, we have now moved beyond that, thankfully.

Lolli jumps up on tables & countertops, which I do not like at all.  She has done this almost from Day 1. She is quite snoopy, but also wants to make sure all dishes are licked clean. This has forced me to get kitchen clean-up done asap following meals...not my usual habit.
I feed her as we sit down to eat, & do not give her people food beyond the dot of morning yogurt. I know it is not about hunger, as she is well fed, gaining well--not at all thin & appears healthy in every way. This is puzzling & very irritating to me. Behavior continues, even though she gets immediate reprimand & removal for it.  She sneaks right back up there as soon as she's been "talked to" & I turn my back--especially if there has been anything dairy on the menu.
*If you have suggestions for this, I'd love to hear them, especially if they do not involve sticky tape.

I have not introduced her to children, or other animals yet, but, do massage out of my home & she has learned to behave well & does not interrupt treatments.  
Lolli likes people & loves to introduce herself to company when they arrive.
She is healthy & we are both happy.

Thank you all for your loving care of Toffee/Lolli.  I know there were times when some people, (possibly including the Vet), were about to throw in the towel.  
I am so glad that we all hung in there!
She is a very special critter & I am grateful for her (almost) every day.